The supply list for this project is probably the most daunting aspect of HotPatterns Red-Hot Mama Tote Bag. In addition to the usual places I order sewing supplies from, I ordered from two new-to-me vendors who have Etsy shops, and was very happy with the timeliness of their shipping. Although it took a couple of weeks for me to collect the fabric and notions, it became sort of a fun scavenger hunt ending in having in my eager hands all the goodies needed to make this wonderful bag.
- cotton canvas--Stevie Saint Fabrics
- interfacing(Stiffener)--Fashion Sewing Supply
- zippers--WAWAK Sewing Supplies
- magnetic snaps, purse feet, and base support--Hancock Fabrics
- leather straps--Pratinya
- cotton shirting as lining--from my stash, probably FabricMart
- scraps of leather as zipper pulls--fortunate that I don't throw anything away
The end result is better than I ever imagined! I love the colors in this bag, but I think I would have also loved it in a solid.
The leather straps were shipped to me from Thailand! They have a beautiful hand and a definite real leather scent.
Not sure how well this cotton lining will wear, but I like the nice clean look for now anyway. The lining and the pockets (and the clever shape) are what keeps the bag from looking like it was made in Africa.
I'm sure I've got to make more of these.