Saturday, September 15, 2007

Clean and Modest


Jalie 2682 has become one of my favorite patterns. I love the sleeveless version because it has long slimming lines and does not show bra straps. Shaping is built in to the seams, so the top can have some ease around the waist and still be flattering. It also does not show large bare expanses of chest. The first top shown is made with cotton/lycra.
The top part of the front is actually a double layer of fabric. Without the zipper, it is folded over. With the zipper, it is cut in two pieces each side, and each side sandwiches the zipper. I had some reservations about the double layer with the thicker fabrics, but it actually works out well, creating a smoother layer over the bust.




In the light turquoise version, also a cotton/lycra, I added strips of leopard-print velour as trim.



I made two long-sleeved versions. One is with a print of rayon knit, which was quite stretchy. This top is so comfortable it almost feels like wearing nothing at all.


The latest one I just finished is made with Eco-wool (machine-washable) from fabricline.com. I am planning to use this as a winter running top. The fabric is not as stretchy as the rayon, of course, so I added some ease to the waist, tapering out from the underarms. However, I just discovered by looking at these photos, I should have added the ease to the underarm/bust area as well... It doesn't feel tight, though a little pull line can make it look a bit less than perfect. This version has a zipper, essential for running. I think I'll like this for just hanging out in.
Next time I'll make it in fleece!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

All of your tops turned out great!! You look cute in all of them. And I know what you mean about RTW tops being too low cut --drives me crazy!
Thanks for the great review at PR!

Linda L said...

Glad to see your blog and the many versions of this Jalie top. I am convinced that I need to buy this top because of its versatility! It appears you have been successful making it from various weights/types of knit.

Shirred Stretch Dress

Burdastyle's  Stretch Jersey Dress 08/2018 #112  is sure to be one of my all-time favorites. I'm sure I will make this over and ove...